Saturday, March 21, 2015

Chapter Endings and Wandering Sexual Minds

 

Quick and Dirty Skye Tips #2: Ending Chapters on a High (Orgasmic) Note!


Hello Skye Readers!

Recently, I went back and reformatted some of my stories on Amazon. I got caught up in some of them, and I realized that in order for readers to enjoy my stories, I have to enjoy them as a reader too. If I don't like the storytelling, why should I make another person suffer through it?


Reading some of my other favorite erotic romance authors and getting into my own long writing marathons for second parts of my two erotic romance series, Alpha Warlocks of Kala West and The Erotic Circus, I've noticed a few things that can make both readers and writers satisfied with the end of a story. These are my Quick and Dirty Skye Tips #2:

1. The Build-up Must Be Strong and Authentic to Set the Mood


This may be a "Duh" moment, but I don't just mean candles and music.You need to set the characters up for a strong connection long before they get down and dirty. I love reading quick and sexy reads just as much as the next person, but I've noticed with my dirty, I also need sexy foreplay first, both emotional and physical. I am a woman, after all ;-). 

If you throw characters into bed, I want to know why they are there, even if it is only for meaningless sex. This way when the sheets are ruffled and the hot action is done, I can leave satisfied with events too.
   

2. Sexual Tension Needs to Be Real, Scorching, and Include Everyone Involved


A lot of my writing has more than two people. Usually, it's two men and a woman, which is a favorite storyline of mine, especially since there are few interracial BWWM (Black woman, white man) menage stories. However, it's easy to get lost in writing a story and forget the third player. 

I make it a goal to have everyone do or say something every couple of lines. Remember that childhood lesson about giving everyone else a turn? It definitely applies here. Otherwise, the reader will be a few pages into the sex scene asking, "What happened to the other guy (or girl)? Did they fall asleep or something?" That is a bad and boring thought to give any dedicated reader. 

This is kind of an expansion on the first set of Quick and Dirty Skye Tips, but I want to take it a step further. The reactions of all parties involved also need to be described. If someone is being licked somewhere, how does the receiver respond? And when a third person gets involved, do they react the same way or differently? This helps to make the scene steamy but technically accurate and real for the scene they are all actively participating in.
   

3. Emotions Mingled with the Five Senses are Key


I'm sure you remember the emphasis on the five senses in grade school: taste, touch, sight, smell, and sound. Well, these never change, especially in romance writing. Whenever you create a setting, visualize yourself there and share it with readers. 

How does his lips taste in a kiss? What does her skin feel like as his fingers glide across it? How does the rich billionaire look in his designer threads? What smell invigorates the alpha shifter so he's ready to pounce and claim his sexual prey? What does her moan sound like to urge her lover on?

Never assume your reader knows these things. I tend to get caught up in my own fictional worlds, so I tend to accidentally do this as well. It's so clear and vivid to me that obviously my readers can experience it too, right? Nope. That's what description is for, to use as an invitation to your world. Go ahead. Invite some people in.

So, now it's your turn. What was the best erotic romantic ending that left you hot, bothered, and still satisfied but craving more?

Happy Sensual Reading (And Writing),

Auriella

No comments:

Post a Comment